Oh, the Stories I Could Tell

People often say to me,”Cader, why don’t you write a book of your experiences at Riverview ¬†over the past 43 years”. My simple answer is that the statute of limitations has not quite run on many of them. To put it another way,I am counting on many of the folks who will be in my stories going to that great plantation in the sky before I do. Although, I do not know why I worry so much about that because,based on my experience with them, they could not hit me if they shot at me as long as I was standing still.

 

However, there is one group that I can feel free to write about as I am convinced that they are never going to die. As many of you know, we offer a discount on our base rate during the holidays to encourage families to hunt with us, and families make up 99% of our business during this time. It is the other 1% that I am writing about here.These men all hunted with me when they were still active in their businesses. Now that they are retired, they still come as a group of friends over the holidays. I termed them cheapskates years ago. Not to be outdone, they were slightly miffed with my terminology, and have named themselves”The Frugal Hunters” club. Most of these guys live north of the “Smith&Wesson” line,and can be deemed Yankees. Surprisingly for a bunch of Northerners, they can shoot pretty good.

 

I have to give them this much–they do pay and on time after the leader threatens to go to a couple of their homes with a baseball bat. One of these men in the past would bring me a country ham as long as I paid for it as soon as it arrived here. Evidently, I was a day late paying him one year because the next year he claimed that the country ham store burned down. I will say that they gave me a break this year because the crustiest curmudgeon in the group failed to make the trip this year.I can guarantee you that pro shop sales will not fall off one bit due to his absence.

 

I love my job, and really do enjoy my guests who become more than guests over the years. They become friends. I am proud to place the “Frugal Hunters” AKA “Cheapskates” in that group as they have been coming at this time of the year for almost 20 years now. I sure hope that they do not read this as they would be inclined to ask for the “20 year discount”!