As the old hippy song from the 60’s goes, “I just dropped in to see what condition, my condition was in.” I just had lunch at the Lodge with Cader IV, Jerry, and Andy. They told me that the hunting had been excellent during this last half of the season. However, we do still have a few openings left before the end of this season. But, very few.
I am amazed at the weather pattern for this first week of February. It was actually colder in October and November than it has been this week. However, it is predicted that we will go back to freezing temps this week. South Georgia weather is like a woman-unpredictable and subject to volatile changes. Speaking of changes, I am having a very difficult time adjusting to this autumn period of my life. It’s a lead pipe cinch that I could no longer hunt deer while still hunting. I have so many joints that creak and pop. I sound like the rice crispies elves that snap, crackle, and pop. My right hip has been killing me; so I decided to see my orthopedist. I just found out that I need a hip replacement. I’m reminded of what my Dad told me during those years that I jogged six miles daily except for Sundays. He said, “Son, you are really going to regret this pounding on your body when you get old.” Dang, I sure wish that I had listened to Pop. Old age definitely ain’t for sissies! I want my vet to do my hip surgery since he can see me right away versus the healthcare system for humans.
OK, my pity party is over, and I want to close with a few observations granted to us “mature” citizens:
- The Constitution doesn’t need to be rewritten. It needs to be REREAD.
- “Give me liberty or give me death”. Not give me free college, free healthcare, and free housing, and make my neighbors pay for it.
- We don’t let athletes bet on games that they have the ability to influence. Why do we allow Congress to invest in companies they regulate?
- How is it that the government can’t control gasoline prices? But, the weather is something they can fix.
- If your electric car runs out of power on the interstate, do you walk to a charging station to get a bucket of electricity?
- The fitness trainer asked me, “what kind of squat are you accustomed to doing?” I said, “ Diddly Squat.”
- And, finally…. I came, I saw. I forgot what I was doing and retraced my steps, got lost on the way back, and now I have to pee.
Well, that’s enough pearls of wisdom for one day. I think that I will hobble on back to my chair. I hope that you and your families have a GREAT 2023. May God bless you all!